Asphalt shingles are a popular choice for homeowners due to their affordability, durability, and ease of installation. However, few people know how these shingles are made and the benefits they offer. In this blog post, we will take a closer look at the manufacturing process of asphalt shingles and discuss the advantages they bring to your home's roofing system.
The Manufacturing Process of Asphalt Shingles
Asphalt shingles are made from a combination of materials, including fiberglass, asphalt, and granules. The manufacturing process involves several steps:
- Fiberglass Mat Production: A continuous sheet of fiberglass is produced by pulling molten glass through a series of small holes. This sheet is then coated with a binder and cut into the desired size for shingles.
- Asphalt Coating: The fiberglass mat is covered with hot asphalt, which provides the waterproofing layer and acts as an adhesive for the granules. The asphalt used in shingles is typically modified with polymer additives to improve its performance and durability.
- Granule Application: Granules made from crushed minerals, such as slate or ceramic, are applied to the asphalt-coated mat. These granules provide UV protection, improve the shingle's appearance, and increase its durability.
- Cutting and Packaging: The finished shingle sheet is cut into individual shingles and packaged for shipping to distributors and roofing contractors.
Benefits of Asphalt Shingles for Your Roof
Asphalt shingles offer several advantages for homeowners, including:
- Affordability: Asphalt shingles are one of the most cost-effective roofing materials available, making them an attractive option for homeowners on a budget.
- Durability: Thanks to the combination of fiberglass, asphalt, and granules, asphalt shingles can withstand harsh weather conditions, such as high winds, heavy rain, and hail. According to the Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association, asphalt shingles can last up to 30 years with proper maintenance.
- Energy Efficiency: Asphalt shingles with granules that reflect solar heat can help reduce your home's cooling costs during hot summer months. The U.S. Department of Energy recommends looking for shingles with an Energy Star rating for maximum energy efficiency.
- Wide Variety of Styles and Colors: Asphalt shingles are available in various colors and styles, allowing homeowners to customize their roof's appearance to match their home's exterior design.
- Easy Installation and Maintenance: Asphalt shingles are relatively easy to install and maintain, making them a popular choice for DIY homeowners and professional roofing contractors.
Choose Fraser Roofing, LLC for Your Asphalt Shingle Needs
At Fraser Roofing, LLC, we understand the importance of choosing the right roofing materials for your home. Our experienced team can help you select the best asphalt shingles for your needs, ensuring that your roof is durable and attractive. We also offer expert installation and maintenance services so that you can enjoy the many benefits of asphalt shingles for years.